The Courses Feature - Setting up Your Course
How to create, edit, and delete a course, all the information you need to maintain and run your courses.
- You can add a course as a Content Manager or Site Manager by using the ‘+’ button in the header menu.
- You can add normal users as Course admins (called “Course leaders”) to give them control over the settings and content of the course.
- The Course admin(s), content managers and site managers can edit the course information, create and manage sections, create and manage parts, delete the course, and manage enrollments to the course.
- You can only delete a course managed by yourself.
- A course can be deleted on the edit course page.
Note: Deleting a course will also delete all of the sections, parts, posts, events, and topics created in the course.
Creating a Course
1. Choose a Course Type
There are two different types of courses:
- Basic courses focus on the course material only.
- Advanced courses contain the course materials and add all the possibilities of a Group; add topics, events and a stream to the course.
2. Choose the Accessibility
- All courses are currently only visible to users who are logged in.
- It is possible to limit accessibility by setting a start date for the course. Before the date, users can enroll in the course but not begin it yet. Only after the starting date will the content become accessible and the enrollment will then be closed.
- All courses can be set to:
- Non-sequential, where users can access the content freely at any time
- Sequential, where the courses guide the user through the content in the predetermined order. Other sections and parts will be visible but not accessible.
3. Fill in the Details
Fill in the course information and determine its specifications, like a title, description, start-end date, and add an image.
4. Connect Courses
You can connect courses in two ways:
- Add a course type to the course. This overarching taxonomy connects courses automatically to each other. This taxonomy will show up in the course and it is possible to search for it on the platform.
- Add a related course to the course. This is a manual maintainable block in the course overview that shows other relevant courses to users.
Add Sections to the Course
A course contains sections, and each section is made up of 1 or more parts. You can create a section by using the ‘create section’ button on the "about" page of the course.
You can also add parts during the creation of a section. There are three different part types:
- A video; provides the ability to embed a video into the course (currently only Vimeo videos).
- A quiz; provides the ability to include tests into sections. More on information here.
- An article; provides the ability to style the text, add images, and include attachments. You can also include a Video Link (incl. YouTube) in the description box by changing the text format to All HTML and by using the Media Button to embed it.
* User view of the section incl. article and video.
Edit and Delete
A Course: You can edit a course by clicking the pen symbol in the right corner of the header. At the bottom of the Course edit page, you can also delete an entire course.
A Section: You can edit a course by using the pen symbol that is visible on the section overview or in the header section of the section page. If you want to delete a section: this can be done at the bottom of the section page in the edit mode.
A part of a section: You can edit a part via the edit section page, by clicking on the edit button. This also applies to deleting/removing a part.
As a user, you can navigate through the different parts via the continue button at the bottom of the section or via the part navigation on the right.
Note: If you are using the continue button, the status of this part will be labeled as done.